Molds are helpful in our ecosystem but it can also be very bad because thriving and growing mold spores releases toxins resulting to health problems. It’s found everywhere even in places in the house that can’t be seen like above ceiling tiles and at the back of the drywall. Mold and mildew spores can easily be spread specially in an indoor environment but it cannot be eliminated completely. So, the best way to prevention is to quickly identify and eliminate the source moisture before it becomes a complete problem.
Mold Prevention Tips
- Leaks in any damp area around sinks and tubs, pipes must be repair to prevent molds from growing.
- Water resistant building materials must be used in constructing and remodeling buildings and houses like tiles and stone, deep-sealed concrete, wall-boards that are waterproof and water resistant glues
- Keep the temperature at home at 70°F.
- Mold can’t grow without moisture, so clean wet areas right away. Spaces that has been exposed to water needs to dry thoroughly within 24-48 hours.
- Activities such as cooking dinner, doing the laundry and taking a shower promotes mold growth at home. Prevent the growth of mold by providing proper ventilation in any high-moisture area.
- Insulating the house can also reduce the potential for condensation on cold places.
- Keep rainwater from gutters or the roof drain away from the house in order to avoid seepage of water from the outdoors into the house. Roof gutters needs to be cleaned regularly and inspected for damage. If there are damages, repair is necessary.
- The ground around the house needs to slope away to prevent water from seeping into the basement crawl space.
- Easy to clean, water-resistant floor coverings, such as vinyl or stone tile should be considered in areas indoors that are prone to moisture.
- Fans, air conditioners, open windows and dehumidifiers can reduce the moisture in the air especially in hot weather. But if there are already molds that exist the use of fans will only promote further growth by spreading the mold spores.
- The first step when there is mold growth is to find and eliminate the water source.
- If it is just a small area (less than about 10 sq ft), clean the mold using detergent solutions then thoroughly dry all materials.
- Consider calling a professional mold remediation company that uses standard approaches in remediating molds if the affected area is larger than 10 sq ft.
Premier Restoration USA licensed professionals are always ready to serve you 24/7 regardless of the circumstances – dealing with water damage or mold remediation. We will provide the latest state of the art services to all damaged property due to flood, water, fire, smoke, mold, and other disasters.
Author: Ramsay Danny
Danny Ramsay is a licensed professional premier restoration technician for fire and water damage, mold remediation services.